London Grilling with Mother Flipper
Entering London’s bustling burger realm at the start of this year, Mother Flipper are the masters of the two bun/meat combo.
Trading at Brockley Market every Saturday and at Eat.st Kings Cross on Tuesdays, Mother Flipper have it sorted when it comes to burgers, serving a simple but utterly delicious menu. They’ve also done a few pop-up events around London so keep a look out for where they’ll be next.
We spoke to Manuel about burgers (funnily enough), burgers…and more burgers! Get your chops around this…
The humble burger is enjoying something of a renaissance in London these days! How are you guys making sure Mother Flipper stands out from the rest?
We make flippin’ tasty Burgers with fresh ingredients and minimal fuss. London only really has a handful of great burger joints that are worth visiting. So when you find a great burger joint it’s extra special and totally stands out from the rest.
We’d love some tips for the cooking enthusiasts in our audience – how do you make the very best homemade burger?
Its all about the patty & bun. Get that bit right and your 80% on your way to burger greatness. The other 20% is condiments and cheese which is down to personal preference. Just use awesome meat and bread and you’re on to a winner.
From alligator to ostrich, unusual meats are having quite a moment. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever put between your buns?
The weirdest Burger we made was a bacon cheese burger but instead of using a normal bun we used a Krispy Kreme doughnut. We’d heard about such a burger from the US and though it was a crazy idea but hell it was good! The ultimate sweet and savory combo.
Pop-ups aside, which London burger joint has you salivating at the mouth and queuing at the door?
Honest Burgers have just opened a burger joint in Soho which is an awesome place to get a burger & fries. Another favorite of mine is Big Dirty Burger. These guys offer a juicy patty with great condiments. Just ask them for a Gang Bang and there’ll know what you mean!
Finally – you’ve got to choose one condiment for the rest of your burger eating days; which one do you choose and why?
Tommy K, all the way (Heinz of course). Why? Because it’s the best condiment EVER!!!!
- London Living’s best blogs of the week »
- « London Living photography competition: our favourite entries so far!